What is the significance of “Olde Hall” compared to “Old Hall”?
The company's original trade mark, registered in 1922 for a range of bathroom fittings, was "Olde Hall" and this was displayed on these products as TRADE "Olde Hall" MARK. This continued on tableware when production began in 1928. In 1934, a new trade mark of "Ye Olde Hall Quality" was introduced in conjunction with a drawing of an old hall on all company literature but this had to be withdrawn the following year when it was deemed that this combination was too similar to a trade mark already being used by Sheffield cutlery manufacturers Walker & Hall; so, in 1935, the trade mark reverted to just the words "Olde Hall". This continued until 1959 when, to present a more modern image, the “e” was dropped to become Old Hall and this remained in use until the company closed down in 1984. The first two trade marks, from 1928 until 1935, are becoming increasingly collectable! Click here to see how you can find more information on the different backstamps used.
Return to top